Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Working on your A-Language (German)

This section of the forum is now closed. For more information, please refer to other useful websites such as http://interpreting.info

Working on your A-Language (German)

Postby karolin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:17 pm

Hello everybody,

I am currently studying at ISIT Paris as a Erasmusstudent. My actual university is in Magdeburg, Germany where I will be returning in september to pass the last year of my BA. My language combination is A-German B-French C-English and Swedish.
I was wondering if anyone knew a very good way to work on your A-language since I figured out that my German is actually getting worse. Of course I've tried reading the papers, watching the news but it just doesn't seem to get better.
A: German, C: French, English
karolin

Re: Working on your A-Language (German)

Postby Aymeric » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm moving this thread to the main forum, as it can be of interest to people with other languages too. I will leave a shadow topic where it was originally posted.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby joanne » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Aymeric, I do not see your response to karolin's message about improving A language, I see your blog, but cannot find it in there :-(
can you direct me to the right place please?
thanks
Joanne
joanne

Postby Aymeric » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:18 pm

That's because I did not reply to the question :) I don't really know any good methods to work on your A language, aside from reading and reformulating news articles... I was hoping someone more inspired would come and post their recommendations...
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby joanne » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:07 pm

AHHH, so here we go, my English is not even good enough to understand the simple phrase you wrote
"I'm moving this thread to the main forum, as it can be of interest to people with other languages too. I will leave a shadow topic where it was originally posted."shame on me :oops:

still don't know what a shadow topic is............

in any case, I guess there is a lot about A-languages out there, but I will go through my stuff and see if I can find the advice I was given a few times by some interpreters.
cheers
joanne

Postby Misato1987 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 am

Hello,

I'm also German and I'm working with German as A-language (French B, English C).
I have the same advice as Aymeric: try to read as much as you can in your mother tongue, listen to the radio, watch television...
If you're in another country, it's quite normal that you have the impression your mother tongue deteriorates, I made the same experience.
What I do from time to time is write some texts in German, it depends on your creativity and your time of course. You can also write speeches, this is what we did at the beginning of our Master studies in Cologne. I also write down every collocation and every expression that sounds good and would be convenient for a consecutive or a simultaneous interpretation in a certain context.

I'm sure you'll be surprised yourself about the vocabulary you have in your own mother tongue ;)

Good luck to you!
Misato1987

Postby joanne » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Hello,

I'm also German and I'm working with German as A-language (French B, English C).
I have the same advice as Aymeric: try to read as much as you can in your mother tongue, listen to the radio, watch television...
If you're in another country, it's quite normal that you have the impression your mother tongue deteriorates, I made the same experience.
What I do from time to time is write some texts in German, it depends on your creativity and your time of course. You can also write speeches, this is what we did at the beginning of our Master studies in Cologne.

I also write down every collocation and every expression that sounds good and would be convenient for a consecutive or a simultaneous interpretation in a certain context.

Hey Misato,
I am glad to read your post. I was wondering since you study in Germany (I am German A, Engl B, French C), whether you can recommend or know of a good "collocations dictionary" in German?
I have the "Oxford Collocations Dictionary- for students of English", I find it indispensable really, I love it.
But I have been trying to find something similar in German for quite a long time, and I am told that is does not exist.
I wonder if you or anyone else know of such a helpful dictionary.
I of course have a whole long excel table of "Feste Nomen Verb Verbindungen", that I put together when I came across them while reading the papers, but that is just not the same as this Oxford Dictionary.

I would appreciate any responses on this matter. :)
Thank you
Joanne

I'm sure you'll be surprised yourself about the vocabulary you have in your own mother tongue ;)

Good luck to you!
joanne

Postby Misato1987 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Hey Joanne,

I'm afraid I can't help you, I can't really recommend a collocations dictionary.
I think you have to continue writing down every collocation you come across in a newspaper or elsewhere. I think this is not so bad after all because newspaper articles etc. always correspond to the current state of a language.

Sorry I couldn't tell you more!

Good luck anyway :)
Misato1987

Postby Floppy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:44 pm

It may not be a dictionnary of collocations, but still an interessant source of information : the "digitale Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache des 20. Jahrhunderts" (DWDS) which have for each radical a list of text exemples.

http://www.dwds.de/

I hope it can help :-)
best regards, Flo
[french mother tongue, learning german, english and spanish]
Floppy

Postby joanne » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Thank you Floppy, I will take a look! :)
joanne

Return to Miscellaneous