Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

St. Petersburg State: Which course?

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

St. Petersburg State: Which course?

Postby Aug » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 am

Hey everyone, right now I'm in the process of applying to SPbGU (St. Petersburg State University) to pursue my bachelor's. I'm considering two different paths.

-First: I could study German/Russian translation and interpreting (not including English). I already speak some German. The problem is it's obligatory that the second language after German be English. And if you choose a third language it must be Spanish. I was going to call the dean and ask if I could learn something besides English. But so far I've been told I can't.

-Second: Linguistics, focusing on a language of my choice. Plus in the course of the 4 years I would learn two additional languages, one European and one non-European.

I, of course, want to study T/I but I also am interested in linguistics and didn't know if it would be more useful to have a degree in it. Also I would like to learn other languages (not English or Spanish). Preferably something like French, Italian, Hungarian, Arabic (although I was told their Arabic division isn't very strong).

Anyways, I thought I would ask your advice about it, if you have any thoughts.

Thanks! :)
Aug

Re: St. Petersburg State: Which course?

Postby frogman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 am

It would be preferable to study economics, law, politics,... you name it, anything but languages. Languages you can learn on the side. The main focus during your bachelor should be your A language and your general and specialized knowledge.

Preferably something like French, Italian, Hungarian, Arabic

If Russian is your A language, your C and B languages should be English + an official U.N. language. There is virtually no demand for HU<>RU or IT<>RU.

For those who read French :
LEA est probablement la dernière voie que je choisirais pour devenir interprète de conférence.

Also:
L'expérience montre que la meilleure préparation à l'entrée dans une école d'interprètes est de poursuivre des études NON-LINGUISTIQUES dans les différents pays de ses langues de travail : sciences politiques, droit, économie, histoire, sciences etc.

Les études strictement linguistiques - et c'est hélas très vrai pour LEA - ne permettent pas d'acquérir le niveau de connaissances linguistiques requis pour envisager une formation d'interprète. On acquiert mieux les langues lorsque celles-ci sont le "medium" de l'enseignement et non pas l'objet de l'enseignement. Je parle bien sûr du perfectionnement linguistique (l'initiation à une langue relève d'un apprentissage classique).

Par ailleurs cette approche présente l'avantage de de conférer à l'étudiant des connaissances générales qui lui seront extrêmement utiles (et qui font souvent défaut aux diplômés LEA)

post5480.html#p5480
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

Én csak azt mondom, Pelikán elvtárs, a nemzetközi helyzet egyre fokozódik.
frogman

Postby Aug » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:14 am

I had heard that before and thought about it. Is it a bad idea to study linguistics even if I'm interested in it?

My A language is actually English and my C/B language is Russian. I've been in Russia for almost a year, studying the preparatory course at the university. Couldn't I do a combination of English/Russian/German and/or Arabic? That would be three European languages and/or three official U.N. languages. The reason I chose Arabic is because I have to learn it anyways.

I see that Hungarian is one of your languages, have you found it useful to have? I really love the language and would be interested in adding it, providing it's worth the effort.

Thank you!
Aug

Postby frogman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Aug wrote:My A language is actually English and my C/B language is Russian. I've been in Russia for almost a year, studying the preparatory course at the university. Couldn't I do a combination of English/Russian/German and/or Arabic? That would be three European languages and/or three official U.N. languages. The reason I chose Arabic is because I have to learn it anyways.

EU : English A & German C won't be very useful unless you add another EU language.
UN : Learning arabic, the different accents, dialectal variations,... will take you ages.

You could go for French or Spanish, both EU & UN languages.

Aug wrote:I see that Hungarian is one of your languages, have you found it useful to have? I really love the language and would be interested in adding it, providing it's worth the effort.

HU is the main reason why I got EU accredited, but it does not give many days of work.
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

frogman

Postby Aug » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 pm

EU : English A & German C won't be very useful unless you add another EU language.
UN : Learning arabic, the different accents, dialectal variations,... will take you ages.

True, I forgot that Russian isn't a European language, in the sense of the EU at least. I've been told French would be my best bet. The reason I considered adding Arabic is because I have to learn it anyways for other reasons (Moroccan Arabic). But it might be biting off more than I can chew right now.

Thank you!
Aug

Postby frogman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 am

I wasn't sure about how arabic is used at the UN. Turns out, it's not useful as a C language:

it seems that in the UN, the people in charge of interpreting into AND out of Arabic are the native-speakers of Arabic.
languages-for-the-eu-and-un-institutions-t703.html

as I understand the interpreting set-up at the UN Arabic is not used as a C language. According to UN practice Arabic is only interpreted by Arabic A interpreters into their B languages, for example, usually English and French, and other interpreters do not work from Arabic C. The same applies for Chinese.

As such Arabic (or Chinese) are not useful C languages for interpreters wishing to work at the UN.

http://interpreting.info/questions/1356 ... ish-a/1363
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

frogman

Postby sinbad » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 pm

English A with Russian C is VERY much in demand by UN institutions. But you would also need French at a C.
At the EU, German and Russian C would not be sufficient, but add French and you're much more bankable (Russian is used for some meetings at the EU)
As you mentioned learning Maroccan Arabic, maybe you could learn French instead. Pretty useful in Marocco too!
sinbad

Return to Other schools