Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Rates when working abroad

This section of the forum is now closed. For more information, please refer to other useful websites such as http://interpreting.info

Rates when working abroad

Postby Aymeric » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding the fees that should be applied by interpreters working in a country where they are not professionally based.

For AIIC interpreters, daily rates in Paris start from about 650 euros, while rates in London start from 400 pounds (approx. 450 euros).

So if a Paris interpreter and a London interpreter are both contacted for a conference in Sweden, isn't it unfair that the London interpreter will obviously get the contract if each interpreter applies his or her home rate?
Or do interpreters based in Paris have a Paris rate and another rate for conferences abroad?

PS: I am fully aware of the absence of any specific rule stipulated by AIIC regarding fees.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Re: Rates when working abroad

Postby mark74 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi Aymeric,

This is a really interesting question and one I've asked myself as a newly qualified freelancer. I don't have an answer but can share my experience.

I'm based in London and if quoting for a job in another country will match my rates with the job location and not apply my UK rates. For one thing it helps me financially as I manage to get paid a decent fee instead of the low rates we have in the UK (one of the largest agencies pays just £250 per day). And of course if we undercut our overseas colleagues we risk bringing everyone's rates down to the UK level. It would be good to see how other more experienced interpreters deal with this. As a newcomer I find rates a complicated and taboo subject!

Mark
mark74

Postby andy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:51 pm

That's an interesting question.

Don't forget that both interpreters from Paris and London (in your example) will need to get to Sweden, and the client should be paying for the ticket (and accommodation/living expenses). Whether London or Paris has the cheaper flights to Sweden will not depend on the distance from Sweden, or the local interpreting rates. So there is a bit of an arbitrary element to things.

Equally arbitrary is the exchange rate. 2 years ago &450 sterling was almost 650 euro!

Remember too that you are free to name any price you like. You say the London interpreter will get the contract, but not all London interpreters will quote the same price. One might say 450, another 425, another 500.

Sometimes clients propose a fee directly, then it's take it or leave it and your problem doesn't arise.

Another reason why this "competition" is not a very important phenomenon is that the only language combination where there would be real competition between London and Paris interpreters is FR-EN. And there may not be so much call for this outside.... London and Paris. (I took your example, but it applies to other pairs of cities too).

Finally, because travel & accommodation cost almost as much as the interpreting most clients will only recruit locally.

Andy
andy
Professional interpreter

Postby Aymeric » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Thank you!
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby Nika81 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 am

Hello all,

I actually have a follow-up question if you don't mind:

Which countries apply half-day rates for interpreting assignments of 1-2 hours for example?

I would greatly appreciate hearing what you think.

Thanks.
Nika81

Postby Aymeric » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:37 pm

I know this is quite frequent in community interpreting (which is a very active field of interpreting in the UK and the US mainly). However AIIC rejects this practice, although non-AIIC interpreters are legally free to do whatever they want.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Return to Interpreting: a profession, a craft, an art