Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Questions about U. of Leeds

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Questions about U. of Leeds

Postby grijander » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello all,

Is there any current or former student at Leeds who could comment on the program, for those of us who are considering applying to different schools?

A couple of more specific questions, if anybody can answer them:

- From what I saw on their website, there is no ABC option at Leeds. There is only AB or ACC, right?

- The program takes one year. Is that enough to become a good interpreter? The most prestigious schools seem to require 2 years (ESIT) or at least 3 semesters (ETI). However, unless that second year really makes a significant difference, I'd rather apply to a program which will take me half the time to complete. Apparently Westminster was very good, too, and it was a 1-year MA.

- Does the PgDip option (same as the MA minus the research thesis) qualify you to apply for the international institutions tests (UN, EU)? I really DON'T want to spend months researching for a thesis which will not be useful for me. All I want is to become an interpreter, not a researcher! I really don't understand why most programs require a thesis/memoire.

Any other related information will be very welcome. Thanks!
grijander

Re: Questions about U. of Leeds

Postby frogman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Does the PgDip option (same as the MA minus the research thesis) qualify you to apply for the international institutions tests (UN, EU)?

For EU you need a masters in CI or any masters + a recognized PgDip. For UN freelance, AFAIK, no CI diploma is required.

The program takes one year. Is that enough to become a good interpreter? The most prestigious schools seem to require 2 years (ESIT) or at least 3 semesters (ETI).

At ISIT, you'll be most likely to have to study for three years to get your diploma. ESIT too I believe.

I really DON'T want to spend months researching for a thesis which will not be useful for me.

There are may kinds of intellectual exercices which might turn out to be useful when one wants to become a conference interpreter. And if you do a mémoire en traduction, it might even be a good way to practice the actual craft that might pay your rent until your real carreer kicks off.

Leeds in general : You might want to ask the school how many people got SCIC/UN accredited the last five years with your language combination.
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

Én csak azt mondom, Pelikán elvtárs, a nemzetközi helyzet egyre fokozódik.
frogman

Re: Questions about U. of Leeds

Postby yorkshirite » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Anyone else going to Leeds this September?

I need to start thinking about accomodation in Leeds, eventhough we're still 8 months away.
yorkshirite

Return to Other schools