Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Questions about MIIS?

Questions about MIIS?

Postby Amaia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:17 am

Hello everyone!
I'm going to be doing an MA in Conference Interpreting at the Monterey Institute of International Studies (MIIS) starting this Fall, so if anybody has any questions about the school or the program, I'll be happy to answer them :-)
My language combination will be Spanish (A), English (B) and, hopefully, German (C). My German is a little weak, so I might not be able to have as my C language. I'm working hard to improve and I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;-)

Cheers
Amaia
Amaia

Postby Aymeric » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:00 pm

Great! At last someone can speak for this school!
Good luck for everything! Have you been accepted already?
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

:)

Postby dawncloack » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:24 pm

It will be great to finally to finally see if there is some truth in those claims, that Monterey is great if you want to work for CIA...

Best of luck Amaia!
The brightest light casts the darkest shadows
dawncloack
Professional interpreter

Postby Amaia » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi Aymeric and Dawnclock!

yes, I've already been accepted, but I won't know whether I'll be able to have German as my C language until the classes begin... well see, they've told me that I should attend the courses for a couple of weeks and see if I can handle them, talk to the teachers to assess my level, etc.
I'm already in Monterey, it is a cute little town and there isn't much going on apparently, so I should be able to concentrate on my studies :wink:

As for the CIA... we'll see, I'll keep you updated ;-)
Amaia

Postby Effet » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 am

Having lived in San Francisco, aka "the City" for a year and a half, I can say there's worse than Monterey! You got the Aquarium, the Lane and so many beautiful places nearby: Half Moon Bay, Big Sur, Carmel and of course San Francisco...
Effet

about languages

Postby nonchan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:58 pm

I am a student in high school and I would like to be maybe an interpreter and I am looking for schools in the USA.I am Japanese and I live in France and I want to use those languages and the English to interpret.Do you know if they propose those languages?
nonchan

Languages at MIIS

Postby Amaia » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Dear Nonchan,

First of all you have to keep in mind that MIIS is a graduate school, so they do not offer undergraduate programs. This means that before coming to MIIS you will have to get a BA in any subject and then apply for an MA in Translation and Interpretation or an MA in Conference Interpretation here at MIIS.
Note that I have said that your BA can be in any language. Very often, people who have an undergraduate degree in something other than T&I (Translation and Interpretation) and then do an MA in T&I become very good translators or interpreters. This is because they first acquire a very broad knowledge about another subject (law, economics and business, science... could be very useful subjects).

As for the languages themselves, you could do an MA with English, Japanese and French here. I assume that Japanese is your native language; if this is so, you could have Japanese as your A language, English as your B and French as your C. Note that English must be either your B or A language here at MIIS.

Best regards
Amaia
Amaia

Application for the MIIS

Postby Blanca » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello everyone!

First of all I'd like to congratulate Amaia for being admitted at the MIIS, it must be such a wonderful experience :). I expect to finish my BA in Translation and Interpreting in June 2009, which means that I´ll be able to submit my admission dossier with my academic record enclosed, but without my BA graduation certificate. Could you tell me if my admission is still eligible and if I'll be allowed to take the Early Diagnosis Tests? Thank you

Regards,

Blanca
Blanca

Re: Questions about MIIS?

Postby joanne » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:09 pm

I would like to clarify that the Monterey Institute (MIIS) has nothing to do with the CIA.
People confuse the DLI (Defense Language Institute) which is a language school for the army with MIIS.
don't make that mistake.....
at DLI army people learn Farsi, Arabic, Chinese, etc....to go to those countries, AND work for the CIA...you get the point :wink:
cheers
joanne

Re: Questions about MIIS?

Postby Ana-smile » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 am

Hello Amaia! :)

It's been a long time since somebody posted info in this particular section but in case you get back here, could you please tell me about the MIIS CI program? Any information concerning the program would be of great interest to me! How good is it? What did you like/didn't like about it? How possible is it to get a merit scholarship for a foreign student? What about loans? How well did the school help you in your professional development? My language combination is Russian A, English B, and hopefully Spanish C (still working on it since it's pretty weak).

Hope to hear from you ;)

P.S. If anybody else who's been to the MIIS comes across this post, please, could you share your experience? I need it so much now! Thanks! :)
Ana-smile

Return to Monterey Institute (California)