Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Language Link?

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Language Link?

Postby Aug » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:40 am

This isn't really a school, but anyone heard of this program (for any language)? Looks like an interesting way to break into the field.

http://www.jobs.languagelink.ru/jobs/tr ... lation.php
Aug

Re: Language Link?

Postby frogman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:26 am

you are paid a monthly salary in exchange for working approximately 20 hours per week in the Translation Department, where one 1 hour is considered equivalent to (...) 1.5 pages of translation. (...)

Wages are paid in cash roubles

Hmm...
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

Én csak azt mondom, Pelikán elvtárs, a nemzetközi helyzet egyre fokozódik.
frogman

Postby Aug » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:34 am

?
Aug

Postby frogman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:10 am

You are paying for a virtually no training, since you're being placed very quickly, but you are being paid for this placement. They tell you you'll have to work 20 hours and that one hour equals 1,5 pages. So you aren't really expected to work 20 hours, but at least 30 pages - that isn't the same. And in the end, you're being paid cash ?

Sounds strange. Is it an honest deal ? Is it a rip off ? Is it a way to illegally employ people ? We won't know for sure, but it really seems very different from what schools with a good reputation use to offer in western Europe. Besides, for the longest offer, 36 weeks, that's roughly an academic year, so one would probably be better off doing a masters.
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

frogman

Postby Aug » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm still looking into it and its legitimacy. I was thinking I'd do it in the summer while working on my Bachelor's the rest of the year. Maybe online freelancing would be a better idea. I just need to make money somewhere along the way. I don't have a ton saved up and I don't want to take another year off. If I did the work only and not work-study then I'd only be paying for accommodations and such.
Aug

Postby frogman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Aug wrote:I just need to make money somewhere along the way.

What bothers me is that you have to pay money before you start earning any. Even if this might be a way to prevent loonies from applying, it's also how a lot of scams work.
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

frogman

Postby Aug » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:43 pm

You're right. It'd probably be better to see what local companies there are in whatever city I'll end up going to.
Aug

Return to Other schools