Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

MA Conference Interpreting in Heidelberg!

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

MA Conference Interpreting in Heidelberg!

Postby interpretingstudent » Thu May 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Hello,
I wanted to post this a long time ago, particularly for those German As and Bs who do not know where to study Conference Interpreting.
Those of you who have not heard or don't know, the University of Heidelberg is one of the reputable universities in Germany for this field.
FYI: In the early 90s, there were only 4 universities in all of Germany where Conference Interpreting was offered: Germersheim, Heidelberg, Saarbruecken, and Koeln.
Now it is a bit different and depends on languages, etc etc..plus, back then, there was no "Bachelor" or "Master" in Germany, but now there are all MA courses.
Heidelberg is still pretty high up there, and I am not sure why it has not been mentioned on this forum yet. It is about time! :)
For those of you German As or Bs who still wonder where to go and which school(s) are good, here is one that is suitable for you:

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/fakultaete ... erenz.html

It is also one of the oldest (if not the oldest?) university in Germany. Pretty reputable university anyway.
The application deadline for 2011/2012 has passed though (May 15)
interpretingstudent

Re: MA Conference Interpreting in Heidelberg!

Postby Matilda » Fri May 13, 2011 11:57 am

Leipzig and Munich offer MA in CI too..
Matilda

Postby etudiante2011 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:07 am

That may well be true...
but if you read the post from the person above carefully, it says "in the early 90s there were only 4 schools....." -meaning universities-
and also "the University of Heidelberg is one of the reputable universities in Germany for this field."
so you choose what suits you best. :)
by the way, Munich was not a university in the 90s, but a small private school.
And Leipzig is new. Do not know anything about their program or reputation.
etudiante2011

Postby gitanerousse » Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 am

yes, Heidelberg is very very well-known for Conference Interpreting. In the past there was no entrance exam (but certainly some exams to eliminate you after the first semester, I don't know the details though), but this year and from now on there will be an entrance exam and this is new), the exam is similar to other entrance exams, but it only lasts 30 or so minutes, so it is oral.
Tuition is about 600 euros/semester. not bad actually....
gitanerousse

Postby lovethebooth » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:35 pm

The Fachhochschule Koeln still offers a MA in Conference Interpreting- probably ideal for those with German A and B, they have been offering Conference Interpreting for many years.
The application deadline is mid May of each year.
lovethebooth

Postby onlywinter » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm

Köln students must take German as their A language :-/ :
• "Deutsch als Grundsprache (A-Sprache), bei der muttersprachliches Niveau vorausgesetzt wird, "
http://www.f03.fh-koeln.de/fakultaet/it ... index.html
onlywinter

Postby lovethebooth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm

ah ok, yes, so it is Germersheim and Heidelberg then (I know this for fact!), where you can have German as B. sorry, my mistake....
lovethebooth

Postby CloudAndShoe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:05 pm

onlywinter wrote:Köln students must take German as their A language :-/ :
• "Deutsch als Grundsprache (A-Sprache), bei der muttersprachliches Niveau vorausgesetzt wird, "
http://www.f03.fh-koeln.de/fakultaet/it ... index.html

That really is a shame! Especially since they've now abolished tuition fees (sigh!)...One more crossed off the list...

I checked some others and Saarland university is only for German As and French As.
Leipzig uni isn't explicit but I get a strong impression it's also only for german As.

- This feels a bit annoying. In England the courses aren't 'English As only', so why are they in Germany?
CloudAndShoe

Postby etudiante2011 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:09 pm

@Cloudandshoe

you write that "In England the courses aren't 'English As only', so why are they in Germany?"

I have to say that in England they may not be "English As only" in theory, but when they dont have a certain number of, say, German As, there will be no course for those with German A, even if they got accepted. They would have to defer entry. I have seen this with 2 different schools.

Leipzig is not one of the very good schools anyway, so limited languages, same is true for Cologne.
As for Saarland, they are not bad, but only offer a ltd number of languages.

In Heidelberg you can in theory be English A, but then they usually do not have teachers to teach your C (whatever it is) into an Engl A, and it causes problems.
Germersheim is a good one, but again, you need German B, I guess.
Why focus on Germany with all these obstacles??
Try ESIT and ETI, there are no such problems there!!!!!
etudiante2011

Postby franktb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 pm

can german be a C language in any of these universities?
franktb

Postby interpretingstudent » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:32 am

franktb wrote:can german be a C language in any of these universities?

as far as I know German needs to be B, and that is a flaw in these schools because in France (ESIT) and Switzerland (ETI) you can have French C.
so why not in Germany?
well, I wish I knew the answer.
interpretingstudent

Return to Other schools