Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

La Laguna

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Referencias de postgrados en España

Postby margouillat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:49 pm

Hola a todos!

soy nueva y me gustaria pediros referencias sobre el Master de La Laguna. He oido que es el único recomendable en España, pero no estoy tan segura y hace tiempo que estoy fuera del sector.

Por motivos personales no puedo permitirme intentarlo en Paris,Ginebra o Londres, pero necesito saber que no me voy a gastar una pasta en una birria de Formación... a ver... comentarios, pls!

mi combinación es A. Español, B= inglés y francés y C Alemán.

Gracias a todos!
margouillat

Mhhh...

Postby dawncloack » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:49 am

Bueno, sinceramente... a ver, que no está mal pero es uno de esos casos de... si, pero no.

En mi humilde opinión.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadows
dawncloack
Professional interpreter

Postby Aymeric » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Hello Margouillat!

I spent 2 weeks in La Laguna last April, thanks to the EMCI exchange programme.
First, you need to know that officially you cannot have any active language other than your mother tongue in La Laguna.
The only possible combinations are ACC and ACCC.
This year however, after much complaining, students have managed to convince the course leaders to organise a "retour class" for the second semester (1:30hrs/week, that's to say almost nothing).

The facilities are not so great. They have about 15 individual booths, which are not sound-proof. So many booths allow all the students to interpret every single speech, but to me it didn't make much sense as most of the time they were interpreting in the ether without anyone listening to them.

They always see the same teachers, seeing as how "isolated" the university is.

Students were also complaining, strangely enough, about having to spend 8 months in the Canary islands, which sounded like an ordeal when I was listening to them.

On the plus side: the teachers are all very nice, most of them seem quite competent, and as a Westminster student, I found that the students' average level was roughly the same as that of London students.

So in my view, it might not be the best school, but it is still a good one.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Gracias a todos!

Postby margouillat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Gracias Dawncloack y Aymeric!

Es lo que suponía. Son embargo según la AIIC en una evaluación de hace algunos años está considerado el 6º mejor master de interprtación de conferencias del mundo (?).

Ya sé que sería mejor ir a Ginebra o intentarlo en Paris o Westmister, pero tengo que quedarme en España por el momento.
Quizás pueda cursar este y plantearme un traslado después a Francia o Suiza para uno de los otros (no se si me admitirían habiendo cursado ya el de La Laguna), pero ahora mismo mi hijo es pequeño y no puedo hacer tanto experimento :? .

En comparación con los otros dos Masters que aparecen el la lista de la AIIC en España (Vic y Comillas), puedes valorarlo por referencias?

Si me admiten me voy a gastar la friolera de 7500€ sólo en las clases, así que no te cortes. Cuentame lo que has oido!

(esto vale para todos)

gracias!!
margouillat

Postby margouillat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Aymeric wrote:Hello Margouillat!

I spent 2 weeks in La Laguna last April, thanks to the EMCI exchange programme.
First, you need to know that officially you cannot have any active language other than your mother tongue in La Laguna.
The only possible combinations are ACC and ACCC.
This year however, after much complaining, students have managed to convince the course leaders to organise a "retour class" for the second semester (1:30hrs/week, that's to say almost nothing).

The facilities are not so great. They have about 15 individual booths, which are not sound-proof. So many booths allow all the students to interpret every single speech, but to me it didn't make much sense as most of the time they were interpreting in the ether without anyone listening to them.

They always see the same teachers, seeing as how "isolated" the university is.

Students were also complaining, strangely enough, about having to spend 8 months in the Canary islands, which sounded like an ordeal when I was listening to them.

On the plus side: the teachers are all very nice, most of them seem quite competent, and as a Westminster student, I found that the students' average level was roughly the same as that of London students.

So in my view, it might not be the best school, but it is still a good one.

Gracias!

una pregunta: aun tienes contacto con los estudiantes del año pasado en La Laguna? me interesaría muchísimo obtener información de primera mano de alguno de ellos.

saludos
margouillat

Postby Aymeric » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:59 am

Ok je t'envoie quelques adresses en MP.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby margouillat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am

Aymeric wrote:Ok je t'envoie quelques adresses en MP.

Meerciii!!
margouillat

La Laguna's microclimate

Postby dawncloack » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Aymeric wrote:Students were also complaining, strangely enough, about having to spend 8 months in the Canary islands, which sounded like an ordeal when I was listening to them.

That's because La Laguna is in a valley that has its own microclimate. Really. Temperature rarely goes up beyond 15ºC during the hottest days of winter.

The thing about AIIC is that they can only take into account objective factors: hours, teachers, wether the teachers are interpreters... but, for some reason, those objective factors have not been translated into quality, in La Laguna's case.

At least that's what I think about the interpreters from La Laguna that I've seen. I wasn't impressed, to say the least.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadows
dawncloack
Professional interpreter

Re: La Laguna

Postby mike kelly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:44 pm

why is the course in la Laguna so expensive compared to other courses? Geneva is much cheaper
mike kelly

Postby Mkl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Yes, me too I'd like to know why it is that it's so expensive in comparison to other universities...

¿Conocéis alguna otra universidad española que oferte el máster en Interpretación de Conferencias? Sé que está la Pontificia Comillas, pero me parece extremadamente cara. También he leído en alguna parte que se podía cursar el máster en la Universidad de Vigo y en la de Vic, pero no llego a encontrar nada al respecto en sus sitios web. Puede que lo hayan dejado.
Mkl

Postby Aymeric » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:17 pm

I think that's just how Geneva university works. Public education is free in France, so you will find ESIT equally cheap, but it is not the case in the UK or the US... I don't think there's anything more to it.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby hector » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Mkl wrote:¿Conocéis alguna otra universidad española que oferte el máster en Interpretación de Conferencias? Sé que está la Pontificia Comillas, pero me parece extremadamente cara. También he leído en alguna parte que se podía cursar el máster en la Universidad de Vigo y en la de Vic, pero no llego a encontrar nada al respecto en sus sitios web. Puede que lo hayan dejado.

As far as I know, the University of Vigo plans to offer a master in CI but it is on standby due to lack of infrastructure that should be solved in one or two years. Then, better check their web back in spring 2012…
hector

Return to Other schools