Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

"recul" in sim

This section of the forum is now closed. For more information, please refer to other useful websites such as http://interpreting.info

"recul" in sim

Postby Sonjaks » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:29 am

Hello,

I am trying to figure out exactly how to deal with the issue of not having enough "recul" behind the original speaker in simultaneous.

I have realized that this is my main obstacle to having a decent sim and producing something that is pleasant to listen to- since I am not far enough behind, my interpretation is less "Englishy" than it should be, and there are too many "uhhhs" as I am trying to figure out how to turn the second half of the sentence into something resembling grammatically correct (which in turn causes me to miss the beginning of the next sentence), instead of waiting for the entire idea to come across and then interpret it. Of course the result is then choppy and panicked.

Professors keep telling me to wait longer and not go so fast, but this is easier said than done. Are there any tricks or things to keep in mind? Or is it something that just comes with time and practice?
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Re: "recul" in sim

Postby marija28121 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Sonjaks,

I have the same problem. I guess the trick is to give the speaker 5-7 seconds advantage, so that the brain can figure out what is being said. I have tried this and at first only works for the first 5-6 sentences, but with enough practice i think that it might improve. Try doing shadowing exercises, but again start 7 seconds later than the original, they might seem silly but they're good practice.

Best,
Marija
marija28121

Postby claudine » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi
Our teacher say we should wait until we have something that makes sense before we start speaking.
Easier said than done though!
xx
Mistoufle
claudine

Postby ultrapiotr » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi,

I was told the same during my studies.
Much depends on the speech. If you have a look at the speeches in the EU parliament, you will see that the rel of 5 - 7 secs is often something you can only dream of (at least in case of language combination I am interested in).

So what I can see is that in case you can afford having such a long relay, then good for you.
Very often the speaker is so fast that EU Parliament interpreters do not have any possibility to wait for so long. They start speaking while waiting for the main meaningful point.

Anyway, I am just a beginner, so better follow your profs...:)

Pio
ultrapiotr

Postby Sonjaks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks!

I have seen some EP speeches, and wonder how they do it... Luckily I work from FR, ES, and PT into EN, which is a bit easier than if I were working with DE or TR... And English is relatively flexible when it comes to structure (though maybe less than Spanish...)

Today I tried Aymeric's "salami" technique, and it helped a lot. Other than that, I guess it's just a question of practice, practice, practice!
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Postby Aymeric » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:03 am

It's not mine! The first time I read about it was in Roderick Jones's book. But I'm glad it works for you.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby Oli » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi everyone,

for those of us forum readers who think the salami technique involves either slaughtering a pig or preparing a sandwich, could you please explain what the salami technique is? It sounds like my kind of technique...
Best Wishes
Oli
Oli

Postby Oli » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 pm

I am guessing slaughtering a pig or preparing a sandwich in the boot are not really options, so it must be something else? I am intrigued!
Oli

Postby Sonjaks » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 pm

The salami technique just means cutting up long sentences into short ones.

For ex: "I'd like to thank the rapporteur for his excellent work and presenting it at yesterday's extremely important session, which I was happy to see nearly all delegates attended"

becomes: "I'd like to thankthe rapporteur for his excellent work. He presented it at yesterday's meeting, which was extremely important. I was happy to see that nearly all delegates attended"
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Postby Oli » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:29 pm

I see... indeed, it looks like a good technique, thanks.
Oli

Postby Miyo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks for the Salami Technique...It seems handy!

I guess practice and time makes the expert!
Miyo

Postby andy » Sun May 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Roderick Jones theory (http://interpreters.free.fr/simultaneou ... ostart.htm)...

NB don't measure you time-lag/decalage/recul in seconds. That is meaningless as it depends on the speed of the speaker. Jones' technique solves many problems at once... finishing sentences, decalage, making sense...

Andy
andy
Professional interpreter

Postby marfil » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 am

I a slightly late to this post (but not as late as the AIIC to their Schools Directory) (AHEM.)

I'm really struggling with 'decalage' when working from ES - EN and FR - EN and I will be putting the salami technique into practice. Thanks!
Un trozo de azul tiene mas intensidad que el cielo entero
marfil

Return to Getting better at consecutive/simultaneous (for student interpreters)