Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Georgetown University

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Georgetown University

Postby Sonjaks » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm researching the conference interpreting profession in the US right now for a dissertation on the topic, and have discovered that once upon a time, there were two interpreting programs in the US. One at Monterey Institute of Int'l Studies in California, and a Certificate in Conference Interpreting at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.

A number of interpreters working in New York and DC, for the UN and the State Dept. tell me they did their training there, but the program closed down in 2001.

Does anyone know anything about this program or why it closed down? Internet searches have proven rather useless (I guess 8 years is an eternity online).

It's too bad it closed down; DC is far better placed than California for most European languages, and judging by the people I have interviewed, it was a successful program!
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Postby Effet » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:13 am

From what I heard from a former interpreting instructor at Georgetown, unlike their European counterparts, American students were simply not used to be told that they are not good enough to go on after a year's work and a large tuition! So in time, fewer of them applied, and the course lost its raison d'être, followed by a much regretted shutdown.
Effet

Re: Georgetown University

Postby Freecine » Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 am

Hi there.
I don't know if your account is still active but I'm interested in the course in Georgetown University, too. I contacted them and they said they would reopen the program if other candidates were interested in getting into the class.
Where are you now? Are you located in Washington, DC? You have to contact [email protected] to say you're interested.
Freecine

Postby Sonjaks » Fri May 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi,
I have already finished my CI course, but did wind up writing about Georgetown's defunct program for my dissertation, a year ago. I wasn't able to get too much information about the new one, but I did get some. I would be very interested to know about it though and how it is doing, when they plan on opening it up, etc. What have you learned about it? I certainly hope that they reopen it and are successful, as the US needs another CI program, especially now given that the closing of Westminster has left a a void in CI training in the English-speaking world.

PS if you are interested, just PM me and I can email you the dissertation, which does have a section on the program.
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Postby loveinterpreting » Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 pm

hmm, does it mean they are offering CI again? the "proper" way (not like MIIS, but like they do in Europe)?
After all Georgetown univ. does have an excellent reputation as a university, regardless of CI or not...
loveinterpreting

Postby gitanerousse » Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 am

It would be interesting to find out exactly WHY they closed down the program in 2001. Georgetown is such an excellent university in general, and it would have been nice to be able to study CI there and not only have MIIS as a kind of "monopoly" in the US!
gitanerousse

Postby loveinterpreting » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 am

FYI:
there is no CI programme at Georgetown university at this time.
Unfortunataly MIIS still holds a monopoly and some people on this forum "falsely " and "sadly" believe that MIIS trains the students specifically for the UN, which, of course, is not the case at all!
They are trained for the private US market.
The select few who end up working at the UN are very few in number and usually Chinese-English or in some rare cases EN/SP/FR - this kind of combo.
cheers!
loveinterpreting

Postby Sonjaks » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:12 pm

There are plenty of MIIS grads on the private US market as well as in the various institutions in the US and abroad, including the UN. I have spoken to several of them. I am not sure where you got that information.
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Postby loveinterpreting » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:59 pm

dear sonjaks:
which information are you referring to exactly?
I know at least 10 MIIS (MATI/MACI) graduates personally.
Do you mind elaborating?
thank you
loveinterpreting

Postby gitanerousse » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Sonjaks wrote:There are plenty of MIIS grads on the private US market as well as in the various institutions in the US and abroad, including the UN. I have spoken to several of them. I am not sure where you got that information.

I have been to MIIS myself. and I know that most of them do not work in such institutions (EU etc), but on the private market (mostly US, some in Europe, sure, if they have German, for example), and no, the school does not "train for the UN", there is no such thing.
The Chinese there are the lucky ones, and so are the Spanish speakers. And just a couple of years ago MIIS introduced Arabic, but they were not very successful in the start, don't know how it is now.
the few that might work at international organizations do not represent the majority of MIIS graduates.
Most graduates do end up on the private market. MIIS offers only a handful of languages, most EU languages are not offered, and some UN languages are, as I said,Chinese, Spanish, French.
This is not to say the graduates do not get good jobs, they do, but it is just mostly private market, and not institution work.
gitanerousse

Return to Other schools