Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Manchester University - MA Conference Interpreting

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Manchester University - MA Conference Interpreting

Postby Riyadh74 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:08 am

Manchester University are now offering, what seems to be, an excellent conference interpreting degree MA. Is anybody currently studying there? I am currently working in Riyadh, and looking to return to the UK to study for an MA in conference interpreting. I graduated from Manchester in 1992, in Arabic and Spanish. Would be interested to hear from anyone studying there.
Riyadh74

Re: Manchester University - MA Conference Interpreting

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:55 pm

I have an acquaintance who's just started there this past fall. He was straight out of finishing his undergrad and they let him in with A-B-B, English-Spanish-German. I was really surprised because I thought A-B-B was really rare, and while he was undoubtedly a very talented linguist, I didn't think just finishing a BA with a semester for each of his foreign languages would have put him anywhere near the level required for an MA in CI. Honestly it made me kind of skeptical of their program, because I didn't see this guy's language ability being leaps and bounds beyond my own, and I feel light years away from what I see as "good enough". That's just my own very limited perception of the one person I know who's gone there, so take all of what I say with a grain of salt. Maybe contact the office and see if you can get in touch with some past/current students?
Andrew

Postby Riyadh74 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:11 am

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean. There is no way I would have been up to the level required for a MI Masters back in 1996, after graduating. I had an interview and aptitude tests for the Leeds University MA, back in 2006, and they were really tough and a rude awakening to the level of language required.
Riyadh74

Postby interpretingstudent » Thu May 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Riyadh74 wrote:Andrew,

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean. There is no way I would have been up to the level required for a MI Masters back in 1996, after graduating. I had an interview and aptitude tests for the Leeds University MA, back in 2006, and they were really tough and a rude awakening to the level of language required.

Leeds university MA? do you mean University of Leeds Conference Interpreting program? If so, then I would liketo emphasize that there are two in Leeds. the Univ. of Leeds offers the CI program, and if you think Leeds was tough, try the other ones. sorry, to be so straightforward, but that is just a fact...
A EU interpreter said once to a friend of mine "Leeds is not a difficult school to please"

Manchester did offer some translation programs last year, as far as I know, but there is no way they are gonna now offer a GREAT CI program. Gotta be something shady about it.
the univ. might be good for other things, but not for CI.
I know people from that area trying to find a CI program, and they know them.
Cheers!
interpretingstudent

Postby Hayley » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi

I have place on the Manchester MACINT programme and I agree that it looks like a very respectable course, including a work placement at the UN in Geneva. I was due to begin at Westminster this Autumn, yet, as you know, this course was closed at the eleventh hour.

Hayley
Hayley

Postby bonzarey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Hey,

Now that you've started the course, what do you think?

David
On ne fait bien les choses que si l'on a très envie de les faire
bonzarey

Postby ridethehatch » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 pm

I'd like to hear your opinion, too! I got into the MACINT program for fall 2013 and two other schools. I feel inclined to go to Manchester but I'm uncertain now since the program seems to be rather new..
ridethehatch

Postby bonzarey » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 am

I have applied and been successful in getting into Manchester. I have been to 3 schools in fact as an undergraduate: Heriot-Watt, ISIT Paris and ISTI Mexico. All in all I'd say that a lot of courses depend on what you do as a student, and what makes a course better can often be very debatable. I was told at the interview that students are very different, and while some may leave perfectably able to work for the EU from day 1, others need more practice to gain confidence and experience. It's a question of what you put into it as much as what they can offer you. When I first graduated, I applied to Westminster and was advised to take time out and live a little, gaining better cultural understanding and knowledge of current affairs, which is often lacking in very young students, or at least was in my case.

I have information on the new interpreting.info website, where I hope to help others as the fact that it is a new couse has made it nigh on impossible to find information! I'll update it as I do it, or just after!
Comments/questions welcome!
On ne fait bien les choses que si l'on a très envie de les faire
bonzarey

Postby frogman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 am

bonzarey wrote:It's a question of what you put into it as much as what they can offer you.!

Certainly. Yet, do not underestimate the reputation of the school or your choosing. DG SCIC might not care if your school is know worldwide or not. But until you have a strong reputation on the private market, the private market will:

E.g.: as a colleague who practices conference interpretation but also puts together teams of interpreters for my clients, is that I would fully trust a graduate from ETI or ESIT, whereas I've never heard of the Leeds diploma and would definitely need to hear a Leeds graduate in a dummy booth first.
http://interpreting.info/questions/1905 ... -mons/1994

It might be wise not to put all your eggs in the same basket and think about your chances on the private market, depending on the school you'll end up in. If some people of the older generation don't know Leeds, they certainly won't ever have heard of Manchester either.
Made in Brussels
A | FR
B | DE
C | EN, HU

Én csak azt mondom, Pelikán elvtárs, a nemzetközi helyzet egyre fokozódik.
frogman

Postby Pindakaas » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Anyone applying for the september '14 entry?
A French
B English
C Italian (Dutch)
Pindakaas

Return to Other schools