Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Leeds MACITS 2011 entry

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Leeds MACITS 2011 entry

Postby angelic100 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone's applying for Leeds this year? If so, have you heard from Admissions yet, because it's been at least 3 weeks since I've applied and I haven't heard anything. On the website it says 4-6 weeks, but you would think I would have heard something by now seeing as they have to test us before September as well.

Any info would be helpful, or just a quick hello so that I can get to know you all.
angelic100

Re: Leeds MACITS 2011 entry

Postby gitanerousse » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 pm

angelic100 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone's applying for Leeds this year? If so, have you heard from Admissions yet, because it's been at least 3 weeks since I've applied and I haven't heard anything. On the website it says 4-6 weeks, but you would think I would have heard something by now seeing as they have to test us before September as well.

Any info would be helpful, or just a quick hello so that I can get to know you all.

Hi angelic100,

I did not apply this year but I applied before. They say 4-6 weeks, but I waited twice as long, and after I took their interview - which they took so long to tell me the date for that I had to fly there all the way from another country paying lots of money for a last minute flight just for something that is an "interview", and not even an interpreting exam- , I waited once again so long that it was already September (yes, I am serious), and they actually caused me to miss deadlines for another school I wanted to take a test at, they messed it all up and kept apologizing "for the inconvenience" ever other week, without telling me what the delay was for. It was extremely annoying.
So I ended up not going there- of course- and also not going to one of the other schools I would otherwise have been able to apply to and not miss.
Just thought I share my experience with them.
So I hope this does not happen to you. After all, their program does not have a bad reputation.
Good luck
gitanerousse

Postby angelic100 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:44 am

Hi gitanerousse,

Thanks a lot for your reply, it's really useful to hear about other people's experiences. That is very late to leave it, considering that students need to sort out accommodation and loans before term starts, not to mention scholarships if you want to apply. All of this of course is much harder for foreign students!

Hopefully they are more organised this year...
angelic100

Postby bosbos » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:17 am

Bonjour,
quelqu'un saurait me dire:
- Quels sont le combinaisons acceptés à LEEDS;
- Quel est le taux de réussite pour passer en deuxieme année et pour ceux qui sont en deuxieme année qui obtiennent leur diplome?
- Est-ce que les professeurs ce sont des interpretes en exercice?

Et pour finir: Est-ce que je ne suis pas en retard pour pouvoir m'inscrire cette année?
Merci!
bosbos

Postby gitanerousse » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 pm

bosbos wrote:Bonjour,
quelqu'un saurait me dire:
- Quels sont le combinaisons acceptés à LEEDS;
- Quel est le taux de réussite pour passer en deuxieme année et pour ceux qui sont en deuxieme année qui obtiennent leur diplome?
- Est-ce que les professeurs ce sont des interpretes en exercice?

Et pour finir: Est-ce que je ne suis pas en retard pour pouvoir m'inscrire cette année?
Merci!

hello there,
I applied to Leeds before but did not attend for various personal reasons.
As far as language combinations, it depends on how many students with that language apply in a given year and whether they have the resources and staff and money etc (esp now after the budget cuts in the UK). For example they might offer Italian C in one year (just an example, I don't know if they actually offer Italian), or German A, but not the next year. So you need to contact them to find out about a particular year. the "big" schools such as ETI and ESIT usually do not have this issue.
Leeds has rolling admission, so it is possible to apply late, but also, they usually take long to get back to you, and it might be too late for this year, my guess. but it does not hurt to ask them by email or phone.
I would say there is no elimination after one semester unless you do a real bad job there and fail your classes, and it is only one year, it is not the most competitive school, it has a good reputation in this field but it is relatively easy to get admitted.
The entrance exam is actually more like an "interview", it is not the kind of exam you see at many other universities where you need to interpret a speech into the mother tongue without taking any notes (if you read the posts on this forum about exams),in Leeds you get a translation (or two), and then a bit of talk about a current topic, and then a little summary of some sort, nothing to worry about.
I would hope that the teachers are working interpreters, but I cannot tell you for sure.
The school was on the previous AIIC list, so that probably means they meet the criteria.
What is your language combination?
gitanerousse

Postby franktb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:20 pm

hey guys i just visited leeds university's webpage to look for some information on a MA in conference interpreting, and i just saw that u're supposed to have an honours 2.1 or above on your BA degree to be able to be admitted apparently. do u know if they're very strict on this? i didn't get my BA degree yet but i don't think it will be quite as high..
franktb

Postby gitanerousse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:34 am

franktb wrote:hey guys i just visited leeds university's webpage to look for some information on a MA in conference interpreting, and i just saw that u're supposed to have an honours 2.1 or above on your BA degree to be able to be admitted apparently. do u know if they're very strict on this? i didn't get my BA degree yet but i don't think it will be quite as high..

Hey,
Leeds is the easiest of all schools to get in. It is certainly a good program, but the exam is not hard.
and no, I don't think they are strict, I know two people with "not-so-great" degrees/grades who took the test.
and speaking of "test", it is not a real exam like in the other schools.
the oral part is basically just bla bla bla bla

good luck
gitanerousse

Postby franktb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:49 am

do u know when is best to send my application? when did you send yours?
is may still good? i have to get my english language qualification first and also i won't get my first degree until july i think (although that doesn't seem to be an issue for them apparently as long as i send them my transcript of marks, right?)
franktb

Postby yorkshirite » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:05 am

OK Guys,

So who's finally going to Leeds in September 2012?
yorkshirite

Postby pinkylife » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am

Any Leed(ers) in here?
pinkylife

Return to Other schools