Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Conference interpreting in Germersheim (Mainz), Germany?

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Conference interpreting in Germersheim (Mainz), Germany?

Postby mr_norrell » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:41 pm

Hey everyone,

does anyone happen to have any information on the Master in Conference Interpreting at the University of Mainz, Germany?
It's the only programme in Germany that's affiliated with the European Masters in Conference Interpreting. The prospect of spending two years in a faraway village called Germersheim in the middle of nowhere is far from inviting, but if the programme's got a good reputation, I would consider it, especially since I'm planning on having German as a B.

mr_norrell

Re: Conference interpreting in Germersheim (Mainz), Germany?

Postby gitanerousse » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:19 am

@ mr_norell,

First of all, yes, it is a small town, but it is by no means a far away village in the middle of nowhere. it is 30 minutes to Mannheim and 30 min to Karlsruhe (decent size towns, sure not Paris or London!), and 1 1/2 hr to Frankfurt (bigger city, yeah!). So this is not “in the middle of nowhere” :wink: (and 1 hour to Strasbourg, if you care)

Secondly, you said "affiliated with the European Masters in Conference Interpreting", I would like to stress that the program is not participating in the EMCI program for ALL languages, so this is something you should know. But this does not mean the program is not great.
Thirdly, it is not the only program in Germany with this kind of reputation, there is another one with an equally good reputation, the University of Heidelberg, there you can have German B as well.

http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/fakultaete ... erenz.html

Finally, if you are interested in a MA in Translation & Conference Interpreting, there is also the Universität des Saarlandes, they are also famous, very much in Germany. BUT that is if you like translation as well.
If not, try Heidelberg if you think Germersheim is too small for you. :)
If you must be in a huge metropolis, then the only choice you have seems to be Paris…not sure you can have German B there though, I do not know your background, nor do I know much about ESIT...
And then Geneva of course, but some do not consider it big enough either....depends on what you like. It would be big enough for me, but that's me. :wink:

Good luck!!!
gitanerousse

Postby mr_norrell » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Thank you so much for your very informative reply!!!

I do apologise if I sounded snooty about Germersheim - the fact is, I've always lived in big cities and I'm not sure whether I'd be able to cope there for two years. My problem, of course. I'll go and have a look for myself though, see what impression I get! ;)

And thanks also for the Heidelberg hint, I'll look into it.

Did you study or are you studying in Germany??
mr_norrell

Postby gitanerousse » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:56 pm

@ mr_norell,
no it was not snooty at all, and, and don't get me wrong, I don't like very small places like Germersheim either, but I just wanted to mention that it is not so much in the middle of nowhere as most people seem to think....
What I consider in the middle of nowhere is more like a place in the US, say a town in the state of Tennessee or Kentucky, where you need to fly for 3 hours on a plane until you reach a big city :lol: - not like Germersheim, where Frankfurt is only a bit over an hour away on the train. :wink: see what I mean?

But of course you are right, if you want to have a great night life, for sure you will be bored there for two years.... so I would go and take a look.and have a look at Heidelberg too, lots of students and Germany's oldest university and very good Conf. Interpreting program ,on top of that.
I am not a student at the moment, but I lived in a few cities in Germany. If you want to know more, you are more than welcome to send me a pm :wink:
gitanerousse

Postby Andrew » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 pm

If you have English A, it seems the only possible combination at JGU is German B and French C. The Studienordnung suggests Spanish C is an option as well, but other pages indicate that's not the case.
Andrew

Postby lovethebooth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Andrew wrote:If you have English A, it seems the only possible combination at JGU is German B and French C. The Studienordnung suggests Spanish C is an option as well, but other pages indicate that's not the case.

there was no English A possible this year in Germersheim, I guess not enough applicants. :(
lovethebooth

Postby CloudAndShoe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 am

how many applicants is 'enough''? I want to go somewhere like here but I don't want to go out on a limb and be rejected just because there aren't enough English As... That would throw a spanner in the works.

edit: I do not live within Europe.
CloudAndShoe

Postby gitanerousse » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:15 pm

It happens a lot that a certain combination (or A language) is not possible because of not having enough applicants for that language. Some schools run a program with even just 1-2, but many do not. For example at ETI they ran the program with German A a few years ago, even though only one person with German A passed the entrance exam. And that student graduated successfully, by the way.
What is your language combination?
gitanerousse

Postby Sonjaks » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 am

At ITIRI when things like that happen (not enough students accepted in one language) they will allow you to defer admission for a year if you want. I assume that other schools have similar policies. (also, if you are looking for a school with English A, German B, ITIRI might not be a bad option if you have French in your combination as well).
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Postby CloudAndShoe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:09 am

my combination is English A German B French C.
At ITIRI do they offer a masters in conference interpreting? I've thought about working at the EU later on but a condition is that you have a masters in conference interpreting specifically, and not 'interpreting' of any other kind (liaison for example). I can't really tell from the website, I think it says there are 2 diplomas (one for translation and one for interpreting), but the interpreting one doesn't look like a 'masters in conference interpreting'. I hate to nit-pick, but the other EU websites were very specific that the degree be purely on conference interpreting.
CloudAndShoe

Postby Sonjaks » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Yes it is a masters in conference interpreting. They have an option to do a ma in liaison interpreting but it is a different program. I went to stras and my degree is specifically in CI. Other alumni do work for the EU.
Sonjaks
Professional interpreter

Postby joanne » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:53 pm

@ cloudandshoe

at ITIRI the first year also has translation, and if you are considered suitable afterwards, you can get the CI degree.
it is a good school, but if for some reason you prefer a programme with ONLY conference interpreting (without translation) - and some people prefer that- then they are other schools to consider.
with your combination you can always apply to ESIT and ETI, and there are definitely going to be enough English As for the course to run.
cheers
joanne

Postby sofia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello,
I read that the CI program at Germersheim is not participating in the EMCI program for all languages. I would really like to know which languages are excluded from the EMCI program. Anyone know anything about this? What about Italian?
Thanks
sofia

Postby gitanerousse » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:18 am

last time looked at their website there was just one Eastern European language part of the EMCI program, I don't remember which one it was though.
gitanerousse

Return to Other schools