Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Choosing a School

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Choosing a School

Postby Anna_Gal » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I am considering master studies in Conference Interpreting and have a few questions as to the choice of school. I am currently based in Germany, but am from Bulgaria. Therefore, I would need a school which accepts either Bulgarian or English (I was brought up bilingual) as an A language. I am not certain about the popularity of Bulgarian, but suppose that the European institutions are the primary market for it. My B language is German and my C is Spanish

I have been looking into the schools in Mainz (Germersheim), Saarlandes, Leipzig and Heidelberg, but my situation is further complicated by the fact that I have a bachelor in intercultural business administration and would like to proceed with a master in interpreting. I know that this is possible in some institutions, but some do require a first degree in a related discipline.

I would be grateful for any guidance in choosing the right university with quality and entry requirements in mind! Also, what preparation guidelines should I follow for the entry exams. I am far from the thought that being a language enthusiast is enough to get me into a good program!

Thanks for the info!!! :)
Anna_Gal

Re: Choosing a School

Postby Irisée » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Wow, AABC? With an English A and a German B, you'll most probably have more than enough work in Germany (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and I would guess that having both Bulgarian and English As would be veeeery useful if you want to live in Bulgaria. So basically, you don't even need half the combination you already have if you want to earn a living as an interpreter.
If you are ok with having just one A and leaving Bulgarian aside while you study, I believe that you can study at FTI in Geneva (you don't have to have French in your combination but you have to prove that you have a B2 level in French for administrative reasons) and any school in the UK. If you really want to keep your Bulgarian A, or even just keep it as a C, you should look for options in the interpreting school in Sofia. Now, Germany: I think you have to have a French C if you want to study there (this is the case in Germersheim) and I do not think they'll let you have Bulgarian at all in your combination. The French ISIT and ESIT may let you have a Bulgarian A (you must get in touch with the heads of the programs) but French is compusory. As for Belgium, all I know is that they only train ACC combinations.

I'll call dawnclock for you : )
Last edited by Irisée on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irisée

Postby Irisée » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Ah, and I forgot to mention that you should definitely come in contact with professional interpreters / interpreting schools to have them assess whether your As really are As (this is vital).
Irisée

Postby dawncloack » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Hello there

First of all, Irisée has answered you in great detail and I think I only have to add a couple of pieces of data.

Ok, so, you should definitely speak with some interpreters and have your A's checked. Not that I doubt they are true A's, but it's better to be sure, than to find out they are not true A's during an exam. In the profession someone with Buglaria and English A, German B and Spanish C would be very, very uncommon, and that's why I'd advice prudence.

But for now, let's assume your languages are exactly what you mentioned, English and Bulgarian A, German B and Spanish C.

First, I have to tell you that ESIT is out of the equation. Since last year they've reduced their activity to traditional languages (Eng,Fr, Ger, Sp, Ru, that kind of thing) and they don't teach Bulgarian A's anymore. Neither do they accept Polish A, or other eastern languages.

Second, I can't really talk much about German schools, my knowledge is limited to the fact that I know some of the teachers. My impression of Heidelberg is that they have some genius teachers alongside very mediocre ones. But the most important thing is your work, so that's certainly not a fatal flaw, one can get a fantastic training in those school.

Third, have you considered English schools, for English A's? Bath, Edinborough? I hear very, very good things about Bath. But I think they demand French? You should check that out.

Last, you not having French yet prompts me to advice you to consider the school in Sofia. I know the school quite well, and I was positively surprised at the quality of the training. And it's the only one I know that will let you in without having French. Which is fantastic, since the technique doesn't change when you work with a new language.
You could go there and then add French.
You've got a very good combination, but you should definitely add French.

Anyway, i'm going to send you a PM about sofia uni, if anyone else reading this wants to know about the interpreting masters in Sofia feel free to contact me.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadows
dawncloack
Professional interpreter

Postby Anna_Gal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time out of your busy schedules to reply to my questions in such detail! I have already looked into the school in Sofia and will most certainly consult a professional in order to ascertain my langage levels. I think that my Bulgarian might need some brushing up and I will definitely consider adding French.
Your answers were extremely helpful! All the best and good luck in your language adventures!
Anna_Gal

Return to Other schools