Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Any tips on how to achieve the needed language level

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Any tips on how to achieve the needed language level

Postby constellating » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello.

I've seen several topics here regarding German interpreting schools, such as Heidelberg or Mainz. So maybe some of you here could give me a decent advice.

I've been working as a conference interpreter in my country for ten years already, working languages -- Ru-En. But my ambition is to add German to this list, and, eventually, to relocate.

So I wish to enter one of these schools. The problem is, I'm not even close to the needed level of German. I'm about C1 now, and it's even less with speaking.

I have a good private tutor here and all, but I'm absolutely sure that I wouldn't be able to speak fluently and faultlessly without living in the country for some time. Six months at the very least, a year preferably. Better in the working or studying context (not just a language school).

What options are there?

I can't go to a Studienkolleg, because I already have a bachelor degree.
I could go to another school, Uni or Fachhochschule, Bachelor or Master, just for a year, just in order to gain a sufficient speaking experience. But it wouldn't look good, would it? To abandon your school after a year of study?
I could do unpaid internship, maybe, but those I've found are provided up to three months and this wouldn't be enough. Still, a good idea.

Any tips? I'm stuck a bit here. Would be immensely grateful for your thoughts.
constellating

Return to Other schools