Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Any experience at Heriot Watt University?

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Any experience at Heriot Watt University?

Postby mimiska » Wed May 26, 2010 7:18 am

Hello everybody!

I decided to post a message to have some information about the translation and interpreting diploma at Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh.
I am going to sit the entrance exam in a few weeks.
Would you have anything to recommend me on the preparation, please?

As for my language skills, I use fluently English (B), French (almost A), Czech (B) and Slovak (A), the last of which being my mother tongue.
I applied for English and French. Unfortunately, they do not offer Slovak.
I am very confident in these two languages even if I realize there will be a disadvantage not to work directly with Slovak language.

Regards

Jana
mimiska

Re: Any experience at Heriot Watt University?

Postby dawncloack » Wed May 26, 2010 12:00 pm

I wonder if you have read this article:
a-b-and-c-languages-read-before-you-post-t336.html

Would you mind reading it and checking wether your stated combination has to be reassesed?
The brightest light casts the darkest shadows
dawncloack
Professional interpreter

Postby mimiska » Wed May 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Yes, I have, just now. Thank you for your recommendation!
mimiska

Postby mimiska » Wed May 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Oh, I completely forgot to ask you one thing. Do you work as a conference interpreter? I would need to have a profesionnal opinion.
I agree with everything you said in your article. My point is that I do not have a big choice concerning the schools offering Slovak language. That is why I am trying to find other (less advantageous) solutions by choosing the combination I stated above.
Well, my question is whether this is a good path to follow? I know I am capable but I feel very sorry for my Slovak:(
mimiska

Postby Aymeric » Thu May 27, 2010 7:35 am

Forgive my ignorance, but are Czech and Slovak so different that having one of the two as an A doesn't mean that the other is an A as well? I am asking this, because although I have found no interpreter with Slovak A on the AIIC website, many can be found with Czech A. Why don't you contact some of them and see what they think about your situation?
http://aiic.net/database/languages/clas ... =5&class=A
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby mimiska » Thu May 27, 2010 8:24 am

Oh, this is gettinng a bit complicated:)))
My question was: "How disadvantageous is NOT to work with the mother tongue during my studies?"
Anyway, I don't have a choice. The Universities in Bratislava/ Prague do not offer courses this year. To my surprise, University of Westminster (having Czech departement) refused my application without telling me the real reason.

Have a nice day!
mimiska

Postby Aymeric » Thu May 27, 2010 9:06 am

Alright, to answer your question then, it is not disadvantageous, it is downright impossible to study interpreting with French A and go on to become an interpreter with the same combination unless your French REALLY (not 'almost') sounds like an A. The examiners will tell you whether it does or not. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Postby dawncloack » Thu May 27, 2010 9:23 am

Yeah, best of luck! :)

I came here to post exactly the same thing as Aymeric, you just cannot have any combination. Not you, in general.

Many people come to this forum and say "Yeah, I'm going to say that English is my A because it's more useful, I'm Albanian, but whatever" and that really, really doesn't fly, interpreting into a language which is not your mother tongue, or a language you didn't grow up with, it's impossible, the results are going to be bad.

I knw it's not what you are saying, your problem is more justified since the school in Slovakia is not offering courses this year. (really? WTF? Why?)... but there's little they can do unless your other languag is really up to scratch. As Aymeric said, your examiners will tell you. My rule of thumb is that no one has a good enough level of the language unless the opposite is proven. (I'm not trying to be a dick, I was the first to discover just how weak my language really were, in comparison to what I though).

Maybe checking out Czech would work, I don't know. I must admit I am an ignorant bum and I don't know how different Czech and Slovak are.

:) Really, I hope you manage it, and I hope the school in Bratislava opens up shop again! Or maybe you could come to ESIT.

FYI, yeah, I'm a conference intepreter, working mostly at FAO.

Cheers!
The brightest light casts the darkest shadows
dawncloack
Professional interpreter

Postby mimiska » Thu May 27, 2010 9:55 am

Thank you, guys! It is clear to me now:)
I can be very critical and say that my French is (almost:)perfect but I am not native french speaker and never will be.
As I already mentioned, Bratislava does not open its door this year, Prague neither. As far as Czech language is concerned, it is very close to Slovak. Maybe I dare say something like French and Canadian French- diffirennt accent, prononciation, part of the vocabulary..

I am sitting the exam in Edinburgh in two weeks anyway, I feel like going there. We'll see:)
It is such a big dream to become conference interpreter that I will keep trying again and again.
I think nobody can become an interpreter immediately so why not sacrificing the necessary time?
mimiska

Postby Oli » Thu May 27, 2010 5:30 pm

Mimiska, how about making a point of finding a conference interpreting Master that offers a programme with your mother tongue as an A language? Find one that starts next year or the year after that or whenever and meanwhile do something useful using your languages... work (experience+some money), or study something else that will provide you with useful background knowledge for your future career as an interpreter if possible (law, economics...international relations...), or study translation, it is a useful skill to fall back on, or find an internship...

It seems to me that you could do many things that would be much more useful in the long-term to your interpreting career than studying interpreting without your mother tongue...!!
Oli

Postby Oli » Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm

P.S.: I am not a professional interpreter and am no authority, don't take it from me, obviously... I am just writing this to try and give you ideas...

Best wishes
O.
Oli

Postby mimiska » Thu May 27, 2010 6:20 pm

hey Oli, thanks for your message! I do appreciate your opinion but I am just very impatient:) I obtained my Master's degree ( English/French philology) 2 years ago in Czech republic, then worked 1 year and a half in Luxembourg as a secretary and NOW I wanna study to become an interpreter:))
Unfortunately, my mother tongue appears just in Bratislava and Paris, not a big choice:)

Have a nice evening!
mimiska

Postby Oli » Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 pm

Another option for you, just in case you didn't know:

there is also ISIT in Paris, (I say also because the other well-known school in Paris is ESIT) you can send your application until august and take their entry exam in september. ISIT would organise suitable classes for your combination if they think there is a market for it even if you are the only student with that combination (and provided you pass the entry test). It's an excellent school - but not cheap (fees between roughly 4000 and 5000 € depending on the amount of languages - you could probably get a loan to help finance that - ISIT has agreements with a few banks) and the Master lasts two years.

Anyway, I hope your projects work out,

Best wishes
Oli
Last edited by Oli on Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oli

Postby Oli » Thu May 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Oli

Postby mimiska » Fri May 28, 2010 8:19 am

Thanks Oli, I know that school and I wonder if to try it there or not.
mimiska

Next

Return to Other schools