Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Interpreters and Conference Interpreting</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Any experience at Heriot Watt University?

Schools which don't have their own forum (yet)

Re: Any experience at Heriot Watt University?

Postby markbelcher » Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Perhaps you could get in touch with Germersheim, which is running an interpreting course this year between Slovak and German. They've extended the deadline - which might suggest they're having trouble finding enough eligible candidates - and the institute has a good reputation. Call them and explain your situation, perhaps they can help. Good luck!

http://www.fask.uni-mainz.de/ze/zik/emc ... igung.html
markbelcher

Postby mimiska » Sun May 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Oh, what a pity! I don't speak german:((( Thanks, anyway!
mimiska

Postby rita » Sat May 26, 2012 10:44 am

hi
I´ve been offered to do a test at Heriot Watt university as I applied for a master in translating and conference interepreting.
BUT, although I´m very keen on doing it and leading my career to translating and interpreting, I´m not sure about my possibilities. I´m getting too nervous and I actually don´t know whether to take the entrance exam or not.
I am a spanish native-speaker and work as an English and Spanish teacher. Let´s say that my profile is not suitable for that master since I have neither idea about translating techniques nor basic interpreting parameters. Consequently, I´m terrified!
could anybody tell me if I have any chance to be accepted? what´s the exam like? any advice?

thanks!
rita

Postby Aymeric » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi Rita,

I think most applicants are in the same situation ... I don't think you are required to have prior interpreting experience. I don't think you have much to lose if you just take the exam... it would be a good way of getting a more specific idea about what is expected of interpreters.
Aymeric
Professional interpreter

Previous

Return to Other schools